Tuesday 8 September 2009

Getting started

Welcome to If English then Logic, a blog aimed at promoting English through logic and logic through English. I will share my interests in the English language, my fascination with language in general, logic and philosophy. Specifically:

- students of English as a foreign language may find an alternative in my back-to-first-principles approach to the tyranny of Cambridge exams, business English, and learn-quick schemes (called ‘methods’). I will expand on this more, share examples and, time permitting, exercises.
- students of first-order logic will find answers to exercises that are notoriously omitted from logic textbooks for reasons of space. They can take up rather a lot of it. I will trawl through the books used in university logic courses and post those answers which I find more difficult or more interesting for some reason.
- I will tackle some formal logic symbolization problems and look at how logic can improve – though never take over – your understanding of a language like English.
- Finally, I will post my thoughts and observations prompted by current work, marrying my principle interests and looking beyond for inspiration.

Wherever I know the source of my information, I credit it accordingly. I do the same with opinions, unless they are mine. Any errors and omissions are entirely mine. Feel free to point them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment